A Paid Search Case Study

Generated over $12.5 million in revenue while spending less than $250k on PPC.

See How

We generated over $12.5 million in revenue while spending less than $250k on PPC.

I created paid search and retargeting campaigns that focused on a B2C product that cost between $2,000 – $4,000. Through continued optimization, our paid search campaigns generated over $12.5 million in revenue. Admittedly, it sounds too good to be true. And for many campaigns, I don't see quite this level of success. Here is how I did it.

Keyword Research & Ad Group Structure

At the start of this project, I spent roughly 10 hours on keyword research while utilizing tools such as the Google Keyword Planner, SEM Rush, a few other tools, and hours in Excel. This allowed us to identify the known universe of potential keywords that could help us generate traffic.

Next, we broke these keywords into similar groups which ultimately made up our AdGroups. This step allowed our future ad copy to be very specific and obtain higher quality scores and lower CPC.

Ad Copy A/B Testing:

During the first phase of the project, we created new ad copy and A/B tested our ads. This helped us identify what headlines and copy performed better while increasing our CTR from 0.25% to 8%. This step took roughly 4 weeks since we needed to obtain enough impressions and clicks to make statistically significant decisions.

General Campaign Optimizations

  • Stopped running banner ads that were based on placements, demographics and topics.
  • Changed broad match keywords to phrase match and performed extensive keyword research to make sure we were not reducing relevant traffic.
  • Changed the bid strategy to use Enhanced cost-per-click (ECPC).
  • Added Site Extensions, Call Extensions, and Callout Extensions.
  • Confirmed that conversion tracking was working.

Landing Page Optimization

Throughout this project, I continued to work with the client to improve their landing pages. Our goal was to improve our quality score while helping improve our conversion rate. To do this we simplified the designed of each page by removing links in the top navigation and footer. We also removed a significant amount of content that would not be necessary for a user to make a purchase decision. We also made sure our content used appropriate keywords to align with our ad copy. Lastly, we modernized the overall design of these pages while making sure they were built to support all devices.  These changes lead to improved conversion rates while improving our quality score.